History of Recreation Center

Randolph Recreation-Activity Center,
653 East Pearl Street, 
979-968-5600 or email for info.

History of the Facility

     In 1934 the La Grange School Board generously decided to help construct a New Colored High School to replace the original 1910 two story frame structure on East Guadalupe Street. The new brick structure was built on Pearl Street, where it still stands today.  In 1945 the school was renamed after Professor G.A. Randolph, who served as principal from 1910 to 1941.  Randolph High School continued to prosper with the leadership of principals W.M. Collins, Lee Doree Jolly, William Farris, and Shelia Hatch.  In the late 1940's, when many rural schools were consolidated and/or closed, students from around the county were bussed to the  Randolph school.  Thus, as students increased, the addition of a gym on the west end of the campus was added in 1948, as well as additional teachers and a new elementary principal was hired. The Randolph School was very active until integration closed its doors in the mid 1960s.  After integration, the facility was utilized by LGISD for various classroom needs, as well as by the County Tax office for several years. The City of La Grange, with grant assistance from Texas Parks and Wildlife ($211,000 match funds), renovated the original 1948 West Gym of the complex.  It opened its doors as the new City of La Grange Randolph Recreation Center for usage in 2004. 

As time passed and needs were discussed, the City once again applied for a Texas Parks and Wildlife Small Cities grant in 2010 and received funding ($750,000 match grant) in January 2011 to renovate and revitalize the Randolph School.  It is with pride that the City of La Grange re-opened the doors of the facility as the Randolph Recreation-Activity Center complex in May of 2013.  The facility offers recreation, leisure services for active adults, meeting rooms, and multi-function rooms for the future for all ages.